Thursday, September 22, 2016

Perfect Lunch Date

Last week we finally got a break from the heat and were treated to a glorious DC day. Asher and I took full advantage by meeting a friend for lunch in my old neighborhood--Dupont.


For months I have been hearing about a new place called Buredo that makes sushi burritos. SUSHI BURRITOS! I abstained while pregnant, but now I'm back to my sushi devouring ways. I was a little worried this place would disappoint after I've built it up in my head for so long, but I'm happy to report it is just as amazing as it sounds.


Buredo is kind of like Chipotle in that there is a line of ingredients and the burrito is made in front of you. Unlike Chipotle though, they have a set menu from which to choose. I ordered the Beatrix which includes yellowfin tuna and salmon sashimi, cucumber, pickled cabbage, green onion, tempura crunch, and unagi sauce. SO DELICIOUS! The fish was really fresh and the pickled cabbage added the perfect crunch and acidity. Can't recommend highly enough.


After our lunch in the park, we stopped by an adorable French bakery and had a life-changing pastry. I pride myself on my knowledge of sweets (see all of my Sweet Tooth Traveler posts), but I've never heard of merveilleux before. Have you? According to Wikipedia it "consists of a sandwich of two light meringues welded with whipped cream which has been covered with whipped cream and dusted with chocolate shavings." Un Je Ne Sais Quoi had several options, but I chose speculoos flavor. The whipped cream was mixed with the cookie butter and the merveilleux was dusted with crushed Biscoff cookies. It was topped with a tiny meringue. It was so good that I immediately went back inside and ordered a second one to take home to Dan.


Sushi, sunshine, and speculoos? I'd say that makes for a perfect day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment