Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Things We Take for Granted

This week our boiler had a catastrophic failure. It had to be turned off immediately lest it explode. Seriously! Since our hot water is connected to our boiler, it now means we are completely without heat or hot water. Even though it's May, temperatures in Harrogate have only been in the 40s, so it's COLD in the house.

Thankfully our landlord is being very responsive and we're in the process of getting a new boiler. Unfortunately, since it's such an old house, there's no quick or easy way to fix the problem. All the pipes will have to be redone and every single radiator in the house (of which there are eleven) will have to be replaced. Only once that's done will we have hot water again. Under the best circumstances, we may have heat and water again in a week. Under more realistic circumstances, it could be up to three weeks. Isn't that exactly what an almost-35 weeks pregnant woman wants to hear?

In the meantime, I'm cuddled up next to the fireplace wearing every piece of clothing that still fits. I'm also contemplating what I'll look like with dreads. What do you think? Yay, or nay?


6 comments:

  1. The offer stands: I will totally help you out with those dreads if you want assistance. However, I think I may have you sign a hold harmless agreement beforehand. That said, I would advise against any major hair decisions until you get your hot water back. Good luck! I hope it is just a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I'll keep you posted. Good luck with your heater situation too. Isn't living in England fun sometimes?

      Delete
    2. Normally, it is pretty fun. This is just an another unanticipated part of the adventure I guess.

      Delete
  2. Calli, somehow I have missed your posts on FB and therefore missed your blog. I have a blog too although I'm not sure it's as glamorous as England! Anyway, let's catch up soon via email/FB chat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiera! Great to hear from you! Your blog is fantastic. I'm sure I'll be referencing it a ton once my little one arrives.

      Delete
  3. Great look for you. I think that the full all over is really cool looking. I am sure that Dan would do some of the classes I have seen to teach men how to do a Brazilian Blowout. Then just think of all that money you will save with him as your new stylist.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete