Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Bouncing Around Boston

After an amazing time in Dallas, it was time for Zoey to see the other half of her family. Dan left earlier in the week to go to Washington, DC for work, so he was flying to Boston from there. That left Zoey and me to take our first solo flight. I'm happy to say it went really well! My dad took us to the airport and managed to get a pass to take us all the way to the gate. I think we would have been fine on our own, but I'm not sure my dad was ready to say goodbye yet. It was very sweet.

Zoey's babushka and dedushka (Russian for grandmother and grandfather) met us at the airport. They barely said hi to me before grabbing her and smothering her in kisses :) The last time they saw her she was only five days old! She's practically a whole new person. I absolutely love watching my super manly father-in-law melt to pieces around her.

Our time in Boston was filled with family. We were lucky enough to introduce Zahara to two more great-grandparents. The timing could not have been better. Dan's grandfather, David, was 95 years old and not in great health. We talked to him regularly through Skype, and he always asked about Zoey. I really think he was holding on until he could see her in person. Sadly, David passed away a few days after we left Boston. While we are mourning the loss of such an amazing grandfather, we are heartened that our last memories of him are of him holding his great-granddaughter.

Seeing Zoey with both of Dan's grandparents is something I'll always treasure.

The next day my in-laws threw a fantastic brunch for Zoey. I had the best time seeing all of the aunts, uncles and cousins. It's been far too long since we've been together. And, I finally got to meet our cousins' kids! It's so fun that they are all less than two years apart.

Nina and Sasha (the two babes) are SO squeezable! The Levin genes run pretty strong...don't they all three resemble each other?

Zoey especially loved playing with Jim and Paul.

We had a very, very relaxing time in Boston. My mother-in-law was literally waiting outside our door in the morning waiting to play with Zahara. My father-in-law was carrying her in the Ergo 90% of the time, and my sister-in-law was reading or playing with her the rest of the time. They were so generous with their love and time, in fact, that they gifted us a couples massage and a night at the movies! On our own! Without the baby! (Was that too many exclamation points?)

Our trip to the states was an unqualified success. It was bittersweet boarding the plane back home. I'm happy to be back, but I am already missing the quality time with friends and family. Thanks for all the great memories! Let's do it again soon!


  1. It looks like you had the most life-giving time at home in both cities. So thrilled that Zoey got to feel all that love in person! I miss you three! xoxoxo