Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pancake Day

Yesterday I celebrated a British Holiday I had never heard of a few years ago--Pancake Day. Every year, on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, Brits stuff their faces with crepes (which they call pancakes, and it drives Dan mad!). What's the connection? From Wikipedia:
Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent.

So what's involved in Pancake Day? Well, for me, it just involved making and then eating a ton of crepes! My mummy friends (and Nick) each brought over toppings and we dug in. We had Nutella and bananas; cookie dough ice cream; blueberries; lemon curd; broccoli, leek and cheese bechemel; and Speculoos spread (more on that tomorrow). I may have over-cooked though. I planned on five crepes per person and there were six of us. I had a ton leftover at the end, but I'm certainly not complaining!

Of course I didn't take any pictures of the fillings, or us eating the pancakes. I did capture some funny pictures of the babies though. The babies range in age from almost three months to eight months. We tried to get a group shot, with mixed success. Zahara was crying, Tom was pulling hair and eating faces, and Genevive was just trying to sit up. Though pictures aren't perfect, they are certainly memorable.

Tom going for Tilly's face
Taking a break from the ladies
Topsy turvy

At one point, I volunteered to stay in the living room with the babies while everyone else went into the kitchen to grab more pancakes. It was crazy watching six babies all at once! Thankfully, only Zahara and Tom were on the move. People came back just in time to keep Zoey from grabbing the TV cords. It looks like baby-proofing the living room just got moved higher on my to-do list.


Thanks to my British friends for introducing me to this fun celebration! As you know, any holiday that involves lots of food is a holiday I can get behind :)

1 comment:

  1. Calli you look so natural with six kids. I do remember playing the game of life when you needed an extra car for all the kids you had, well here you are. They are all so very cute. Of course there is one that just jumps out as the cutest.
    Love,
    PopPop

    ReplyDelete