Monday, January 16, 2023

Whale Watching in Hermanus

Though I was sad to leave Cape Town I was excited that the next leg of our trip was Hermanus, one of the top whale watching spots in the region. The drive up was gorgeous, and it was fun to stop and see some more penguins at Betty's Bay.


Betty's Bay on the way to Hermanus

Once in Hermanus, we started walking the Cliff Path along the harbor. We walked for hours, stopping to admire the views, and eventually making our way back to town for a delicious fish dinner.


The real highlight of Hermanus is the whale watching. We went on a tour (thanks to my generous in-laws!) through Southern Right Charters. I had no idea what to expect, but this 2 hour tour far exceeded my expectations! I couldn't believe how close we got to a pod of whales. We spent the majority of the time watching 4 whales (3 male, 1 female) play. There were at two other whales below the surface we saw occasionally. 



I brought binoculars for us assuming that if we even saw whales it would be in the distance. I had no idea these amazing creatures would literally be up against our boat. We could hear them calling to each other. We felt the spray from their blowholes. It was so special.



We ended our night at our gorgeous B&B right on the water. These sunsets are dreamy!



What an incredible couple of days. Next stop, Franschhoek for wine tastings!

No comments:

Post a Comment