Saturday, June 10, 2017

Memorial Day Trip to Philly

I love Philadelphia. I've been several times, most recently with Dina last year. It's such an easy place to get to and has so much that I love: great food, walkability; history. Knowing that my family gets kind of restless when we stay home too long, we decided to make the most of Memorial Day weekend with a quick trip to the City of Brotherly Love.

Dan and I took Friday off so we could get a head start on the long weekend. Our agenda was simple: relax and have fun. We booked a hotel with a pool, which is the best way to lead to fun. Zahara could spend all day in the pool. And even Asher loves these indoor, heated ones.


Our first stop in Philly was the Please Touch Museum. We spent several hours there, and actually closed the museum down. It is a little pricey, but well-worth it. Everything in the museum is designed for kids--from the mini-grocery store, to the hospital, to the tree house. There was even an Alice and Wonderland area that Zahara couldn't get enough of. And of course, the carousel was a huge hit. It's was Asher's first time riding!





We really didn't do too much else in Philly. Of course, we ate though! After getting a couple of recommendations from friends, we sought out the Franklin Fountain. It's an old-school soda shoppe with incredible ice cream. The store is tiny and the lines were really long, but it was delicious! Zahara's plain chocolate ice cream was the best, but my vanilla coke was pretty great too.


We also ate in the Reading Terminal Market, which was next-door to our hotel. I had a delicious curry tofu dish and Dan and Z had pizza. The meat selections all looked incredible though! There was one stall that had the most gorgeous display of deli meat. And another stall only sold condiments! If you brought your meat at the market, he would marinate it for you in one of his sauces while you kept shopping. Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures, but it was fun.

We also took a walk through Dilworth Park, which has a really fun water feature. There are paths between the water fountains to allow you to stay relatively dry. My feet still got pretty wet, but the rest of me was fine. I can see bringing the kids in their bathing suits and a nice picnic on a warm, summer evening. Doesn't that sound lovely?


Sometimes being a parent is about sharing fun treats with your kids. Other times it is about sneaking fun treats behind their backs or while they are sleeping. First up in the latter category is a milk tea Dan and I enjoyed after the kids went to bed. He ran out to Tea Do and got me a coconut milk tea with boba, and him a Hulk (kiwi, green apple, lychee, aloe jelly). The verdict on the Hulk: weird. Mine was good though.


Next, I couldn't leave Philly without visiting my favorite gelato shop, Capogiro. This place has never disappointed. I honestly think it is the best gelato outside of Italy. Asher and I snuck one (well, he observed me scarfing it down), while Dan and Zahara went for a walk. I got chocolate banana and amaretto. AMAZING!! Cannot recommend highly enough.


And that was basically it for Philly. I told you--all we wanted to do was rest and relax. And that's what we did. Such a fun, quick trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment