Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Off and Running

I made it!  My flight from LA to Sydney was actually very nice.  It was pretty empty so I had two seats and was able to get some good rest.  It was a long flight, but it really wasn't too bad.  My ears hurt at the beginning and the end, but were fine in the middle.

Once I got to Sydney I made my way to Dan at our hotel.  My husband is the best husband in the whole world!  He surprised me with two tickets to see Wicked that night!!  I have been wanting to see this show forever!

We got ready to hit the beach for our first Aussie adventure--surfing!  We took the city bus to Bondi beach but took a quick detour before finding the surfing lesson place.  There is apparently a pretty big Jewish community here so they have a few kosher restaurants.  We got two big, fat, juicy hamburgers and ate them on the beach!  Wow!  What a way to start the trip.


We found the surfing place and got really lucky.  They only had one more lesson that day and only two more spots.  It was pretty expensive ($95AUS) but it was two hours and included a wetsuit and the board.  I did not have high hopes for getting up on the board, but I did it!  And Dan did too!  The instructors showed us how to do everything on sand first and then we went in the water for individual instruction.  It was so much fun!  It's hard to stay balanced up there, but I did it a few times.  It was exhausting going back and forth from the beach to the waves--definitely a good workout.



After surfing we walked around Bondi cliffs for a while and then headed back to the hotel to shower and change before Wicked.  We grabbed a quick bite to eat before going to the theater for Wicked!  The theater was right next to our hotel so it was really convenient.  The theater was gorgeous!  I mean really, really beautiful.  The set was so intricate and it changed every scene, pretty much.  The acting was great and I loved the story!  Staying up until 11:00 when I hadn't slept in who-knows-how-long was tough, but totally worth it.  Great first day!


Read more about our trip to Australia:
Sydney-Bound
Blue Mountains and Wildlife
We Are Now a Hostel-Free Family
A Night on the Reef
Day Two on the Reef
Travel Day
Great Ocean Road!
To Kangaroo Island
Eating Our Way Through Kangaroo Island
Flinders Chase, Vivonne Bay and Little Sahara
Last Day in Australia
Longest Day Ever

1 comment:

  1. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. What to do in the Blue Mountains

    ReplyDelete