Tuesday, February 23, 2010


Shorts?  Check.  T-shirts?  Check?  Eustachian tube dysfunction?  Check.  Lucky me!  It turns out the slight earache I've been having for the past two weeks is Eustachian tube dysfunction.  Normally it is not a big deal and clears up on its own.  However, today is not just a normal today.  Today I am flying to Australia!  I have around twenty-two hours of flying today.  My ears have never given me problems before, but they really have great timing, no?

After frantic calls and visits to my doctor, I was able to get into the ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist at 10:30 this morning.  I was supposed to go to work before leaving for the airport at 1:00.  I am so thankful I was able to see the ENT!  He confirmed what my doctor has already told me and gave me additional nasal sprays and sterroids.  So now I am taking three kinds of nasal spray, Sudafed, Aleve, and steroids.  Not exactly what I want to be doing before and during a day-long flight.

I was at the doctor and pharmacy so long that I wasn't able to make it to work at all.  I went straight to the airport for my flight to Atlanta.  This flight was a nightmare for me.  I was really in incredible pain.  I actually cried during the middle of the flight (and at the end, and when I got off the plane).  I am really nervous about my next flight which is more than double the duration, and, of course, the flight after that which is more than seven times as long as the first.  (I actually wish I had not done that calculation in my head--now I am even more nervous!)

But, I am trying to remember that a) I'm doing this to myself--I don't HAVE to go to Sydney, and b) that at the end of it all I'll be in Australia.  That is totally worth it!  
Right now I'm sitting on the plane on my way to LAX.  The plane is nice and big and I have a window seat.  Hopefully my next journal entry will say how much better this flight was than the last.
I'm happy to report that my second leg of the trip was infinitely better than the first.  I didn't cry once :)

I was able to take the ear plugs out after about half an hour and I didn't have to put them back in for another three hours.  I think the ear plugs are helping, but they also hurt a lot.  My next flight should be even better then with 12+ hours of no ear plugs.

I'm on a Boeing 777, which is really nice.  I have the row to myself on this next leg and I plan on taking advantage of it.  That's all for now.  I'll write again from Sydney! 

Ok, I lied.  One more detail: the pilot from my Sydney flight just came out to talk to the passengers before we board.  He says he knows that traveling can be impersonal so he wanted to introduce himself.  It was a really nice touch.

Read more about our trip to Australia:
Off and Running
Blue Mountains and Wildlife
We Are Now a Hostel-Free Family
A Night on the Reef
Day Two on the Reef
Travel Day
Great Ocean Road!
To Kangaroo Island
Eating Our Way Through Kangaroo Island
Flinders Chase, Vivonne Bay and Little Sahara
Last Day in Australia
Longest Day Ever

No comments:

Post a Comment