Thursday, May 3, 2012

It Was Bound to Happen

After four cities, three states and two time zones (not to mention a transatlantic flight), it was only a matter of time before I got sick. Can you even imagine how many germs I encountered? I'm just thankful it happened after I got back home.


I had been feeling kind of crummy for a while, but yesterday was just the worst. I had a terrible headache and chills and felt like I had a fever. One of the good things about where I live is that healthcare is free and very accessible. I was able to get an appointment for the same day.

Thank goodness it's nothing serious--just a respiratory infection. I'm on amoxicillin now and am already feeling much better. Hopefully I'll be completely better in a couple of days.

I don't want to get too political, but I have to mention my mixed feelings on socialized health care. On one hand, because I live in a very "posh" area of the country the quality of care is very good. Doctors are professional and knowledgeable. However, I know that in other parts of the country (e.g. East London) that is not necessarily the case.

Another pro was that I was seen very quickly and was given medicine right away. But the doctor didn't do a very thorough exam and I wonder whether "respiratory infection" is code for "something I can't see that is causing your symptoms." If I said that I had a headache for the past twelve days in the States, I think they might have ordered an MRI, blood work, etc. I'm not saying the American way is the best way--there are plenty of people who say ordering unnecessary tests is a main reason healthcare is so expensive. But I was shocked that the doctor gave my antibiotics without even listening to my chest.

Whatever my feelings on socialized healthcare, I'm just glad I'm feeling better.


No comments:

Post a Comment