Sunday, June 1, 2014

Color Me Rad

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a huge fan of running. I completed one 5K last year, and ran a bit through my pregnancy, but it's generally not my go-to exercise. However, there was always one type of race that looked so fun that even I wanted to join. I'm sure you've seen these too...color runs! This is a race that is purely about having fun. It's not even timed.



Participants wear white shirts to start, and through the course of the race get pelted with various color bombs so that by the end they are covered in a rainbow of colors. The bombs are made from cornstarch, and are completely safe for all ages. Since the race is just for fun, we decided to bring along Zahara and make it a family outing.


We could not have asked for a more perfect day on the spectacular grounds of the Harewood House. We put on our brightly-colored sunglasses and temporary tattoos and made our way to the starting line. The plan was to have Zoey in the stroller with the rain cover on. Around 1K into the race, she decided she did not want to be in the stroller but wanted to be held instead. Good thing the race wasn't timed! There was very little running while carrying our 20-pound baby up giant, grassy hills!


The color stations were set up so that you could avoid the color if you wanted. Dan and I took turns running through the gauntlets, and then bringing Zoey to the edge of the color station so she could get a little bit without it getting in her face. She loved it!


By the end of the race, we were covered in purple, orange, green, yellow and pink. At the finish line, we got blue and red color bombs to throw on ourselves or each other. That was pure chaos! It was an orgy of colors, and we were covered head to toe. 


It was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again when I'm back in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment