Sunday, June 22, 2014

Last Day in Italy

Dan and I had been to Florence before, so we didn't plan on stopping there on this trip. But when Nick and Laura mentioned that they were headed there before our flight just to grab a sandwich, we were intrigued. They said they still dream about the sandwich they had last July. You know me, I'll travel far and wide for good food. And since Florence wasn't too far out of the way to the Pisa airport, it was decided. Plus, it gave us the chance to grab some more gelato. Ha!


I realize that I sound like an incredible jerk for saying I literally went to Florence for sandwich and an ice cream. I am really living the dream. 

We were on a mission. With only around an hour, we managed to grab three gelatos and a life-changing sandwich from All’Antico Vinaio! I have never seen such amazing toppings for a freshly baked focaccia: artichoke cream; truffle spread; roasted veggies; every variety of cheese you can imagine; plus insanely gorgeous meats. I don't eat pork, but this gave me pause. Look at that crackling!


I recommend asking them to choose your ingredients. They know their products inside and out and are great and knowing what works.


Of the three gelatos we quickly inhaled, my favorite by far was from Gelataria Santa Trinita. It might be the best gelato I had on the whole trip. We chose fig and marscapone; and melon. The first was really interesting and very different. The melon was like biting into a really ripe and juicy canteloupe...heavenly! I was enjoying it too much to snap a photo. But here's a cute photo of the babies playing together in front of the Ponte Vecchio.


Read more about this trip:
Cinque Terre Day 1
Cinque Terre Day 2
A Night in Chianti
Wine Tasting in Tuscany
A Taste of San Gimignano

1 comment: