Monday, February 18, 2013

50 Cent Art

Ok, technically it's 50 pence art, not 50 cents, but let's not quibble. The point is, I made some really cheap awesome art.


I have a great mud room in the front of my house, but other than a huge pile of wood and a shoe rack, it's completely empty. Since it's the first thing anyone sees when they come in my house, I think it should have a bit more personality and cheer.

My mud room

I channeled John and Sherry's "use-what-you've-got" philosophy to try and make some cheap art. Last year my friend Dani sent me a really cool vintage Washington, DC calendar. I lived in DC for 7 years and I loved having that little slice of home in my kitchen. Even though the calendar is now out-of-date, the pictures are still beautiful.

I picked out my favorite picture and found a 50 pence picture frame at a charity shop in which to frame it. The picture is an odd size so it needed some sort of matting, but I didn't have any paper that looked great with it. That's when I reached in to my stash of jeans leftover from my denim pouf. It's not the most obvious choice for matting a picture, but I really like how it looks.




This room still needs a ton of art that's more to-scale, but at least it's starting to look a bit cheerier.

2 comments: