Friday, July 5, 2013

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Hello, friends! I'm still knee-deep in my baby haze but I wanted to stop by and say hi. Things here are crazy, but great. There are a lot of cuddles, kisses and diapers and not a lot of sleep. I can't even be mad about it when she looks like this.


People told us in advance that these first few days/weeks would be tough, but I didn't fully realize how much help we'd need. Simple things like cooking and eating are now monumental tasks. We're so fortunate to have such great friends and family to help though. Our friend Deanna organized a website where people can sign up to bring us food. We have a full calendar for the next two weeks! It's fantastic to get to see our friends while at the same time getting food delivered to us. Such a blessing!

Alisha brought Mac & Cheese!

My in-laws arrived yesterday, which has also been amazing. They got right to work taking the baby while Dan and I napped. My mother-in-law Rose set up shop in the kitchen and made blini (Russian pancakes) and drafted a shopping list to make more delicious Russian food. I'm already drooling at the thought of fresh salad olivjevinegret, borscht and lamb shashlyk!* Yum!


Dan's dad, Yakov, has not been slacking off either. The second he came through the door he literally grabbed the baby and has been hesitant to let go ever since. He's clearly smitten. He also set up our crib for us without any prompting! Though Zoey is a few months away from sleeping in there, and it is not set up in is permanent location, it's great that it's ready so I don't have to think about it in the future.




They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I'm so grateful to have one of my own. Parenting is an incredible experience--one best shared with friends and family.

*Russian Foods (from Wikipedia):
Olivje from French surname Olivier) salad: a mayonnaise-based potato salad distinguished by its diced texture and the contrasting flavors of pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and peas.
Vinegret (from French vinaigrette): a salad made of boiled beets, potatoes, carrots, pickles, onions, sauerkraut, and sometimes peas or white beans.
Shashlyk is a form of Shish kebab (marinated meat grilled on a skewer) popular in former Soviet Union countries, notably in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Uzbekistan. It often features alternating slices of meat and onions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I had to come back and check on you! Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby girl!
    With best wishes from
    The Random Rhubarb Jam Searcher ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came back! Thanks for checking in!

      Delete