Friday, July 19, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Last weekend my good friend Karen threw a Meet-the-Baby party to welcome Zoey to the world. Karen is a hostess extraordinaire (see here and here), so when she offered to throw me a baby shower I was thrilled! Part of the Jewish tradition is not celebrating the baby until after she has arrived; that's why we decided to do a meet-the-baby party instead.


As usual, Karen went all out to make the day special. The theme of the party was "You Are My Sunshine." She decorated the house with bright yellow lanterns, flowers, and a customized paint chip banner. Though the party was at 3:00 pm, Karen spared no effort on the menu. Her idea of light snacks is my full-course meal. She made spicy quinoa salad; tortellini with broccoli; chicken salad; and a tomato salad. For dessert there were beautiful lemon chiffon cupcakes and her famous maple cookies. And, of course, no party is complete without a signature cocktail (and mocktail). This party had "white Zoey-fandel spritzers." So clever!



Photo courtesy of Rachel

We had a great turnout, and our friends were incredibly generous. Zoey got a ton of great books, toys and clothes.

Photo courtesy of Rachel


When it was time to leave, each guest got a potted marigold with an adorable hand-written card: "Like Zoey, this blossom is a piece of sunshine. As they grow, so too does our joy!"

Photo courtesy of Rachel

Photo courtesy of Rachel

What a special party for a special girl. I can't thank Karen enough!

Photo courtesy of Rachel

Karen (center) with my SOS crew


3 comments:

  1. Hooray! What could be a more fitting way to honor a little girl whose name means "to shine"? I am so glad you had a good time, and I had a wonderful time celebrating this exciting and joyful chapter of your life. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so sweet! And in Arabic, Zahara means "flower," which adds to the meaning of the favors;) Congrats again on your cutie! Love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I could have been there.....I was in spirit! You have wonderful friends, Cal.
    Love,
    Mom (G-Mom)

    ReplyDelete