Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Uses for Muslin

If you are like I was a month ago, you've never heard of muslin. Now I can't live my life without it. Let me introduce you to this humble do-everything material.

1. Burp cloth
This is probably the most obvious use, and the one I employ the most. The material is soft and lightweight. It feels nice on baby's skin. I use it to wipe her face and hands during and after feeds.
2. Blanket
Because the material is so lightweight, it makes for the perfect blanket when it's too warm for a long-sleeved onsie and too cool for a short-sleeved one.



3. Car seat/stroller cover
I use muslin to cover Zoey when I'm in the grocery store  and don't want people touching her. I also use it in the car and stroller if it's too sunny and I don't want her to burn.
4. Swaddle
It's hard but not impossible to swaddle baby with the smaller muslin squares, but the big ones I have from Aden and Anais are perfect for this. Plus they're pretty.


5. Napkin
I'm learning to eat all sorts of things one-handed since I am pretty much feeding her all the time. Some meals are more successful, and less messy than others. Thank goodness I always have a muslin square handy.
6. Nursing cover
We're trying to get out and about with Zoey as much as possible, and we're doing a pretty good job at it. Since she's still so little we don't have any kind of eating routine. I find myself nursing in very public places--restaurants, parks, my car, scenic overlooks in Scotland, etc. Draping a square over me works pretty well to keep things PG.

There's a baby under there!

7. Handkerchief
Parenting a newborn is hard work. Sometimes the lack of sleep and constant feedings get to you. Muslin mops up tears pretty effectively.
8. Cheese cloth substitute
I haven't tried this one yet, but Dan says he thinks the muslin would be perfect to make cheese or strain chicken soup. It is the right texture. Just make sure you use a clean one and not one you used as item one.

So there you have it. Eight uses for muslin. Do you love muslin as much as I do? Do you have any other uses for it? Leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment