Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Baby Essentials: 0-3 Months

The first three months of a baby's life are often called the fourth trimester. The baby is so helpless, relying completely on you for everything. To be honest, this was not my favorite time. Yes, Zahara was an absolute gift and I tried to cherish every moment because they are fleeting. Lovely sentiments aside, the first few months are hard! No one really tells you how hard. The baby has no sense of day or night; for the first few weeks (unless you are one of the lucky ones whose baby innately knows how to sleep well), you are in a weird limbo with no real schedule. 3:00 in the afternoon might as well be 3:00 in the morning, and vice versa.

When I was pregnant I read a ton of "must-have" lists to help me prepare for the new baby. Each list was different than the next. Some bloggers' "must-haves" were other bloggers' "least used." I combed through each one; read countless reviews on Amazon; spoke with my mommy friends; and put together the end-all-be-all of baby registries. It was absolutely perfect and had everything I could possibly need for Zahara's first few months. Then Zoey came and I realized how impossible it is to actually prepare for a baby. Every baby is different, and what works for one will not work for another. So, with that caveat, here's my list of essential baby items for 0-3 months.


Muslin- I've already told you about my love for muslin, but seriously these things are the greatest. I still do not leave the house without one. An absolute must-have for me are the aden+anais swaddle blankets. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but they are worth it. They are huge and so soft. Grab a few packs of cheap ones too though.

Onsies- Zahara lived in these, and these only, for the first few weeks. Granted, she was a summer baby so she didn't need a lot of other layers, but these were the most convenient one-piece outfits. We bought a bunch of cheap ones from the grocery store to start us off, knowing that she would go through several a day. We had a couple of newborn size, but she was in size 0-3 pretty quickly.

Nursing Cover- Dan and I have a very active lifestyle, and we wanted to include Zoey in that as much as possible. Obviously life with a baby is different, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get out and about. Since I'm breastfeeding, it helps to have a great nursing cover to allow me to feed comfortably anywhere. My mom got me this awesome one from Pea and the Pod. It's soft, lightweight and provides excellent coverage.

Moby Wrap- For the first few weeks when Zahara was so little, it was wonderful to be able to wrap her up and carry her around. She felt safe and secure, and I liked having my hands free. Dan loved wearing her too. As she's gotten bigger, we've transitioned to the Ergo, but the Moby was a great first carrier.

Phone/Tablet- With a newborn, you won't have a lot of "down time," but you will have a lot of time where you are forced to stay in once place in relative darkness. You'll be feeding her or trying to get her to sleep (probably on you). Having some form of entertainment that you can use one-handed and in the dark will help keep your sanity.

Baby Bathtub- This is the easiest way to clean your baby. Yes, you can use a sink or a regular bathtub or a laundry basket, but I like that this one has a little seat for her to sit in. When she was a newborn, she used the mesh sling and it kept her from getting in too deep. It was a big comfort for us new parents.

Hooded Towel- Yes, you can use a regular towel for your baby. But, I like the hooded ones because they keep her head warm while I am dressing her. Plus, how can you resist the cuteness?

Fisher Price Cradle N' Swing- This thing is a miracle worker. Even today when we're trying to get Zoey down for a nap, I'll stick her in here. It rocks her, plays music; has a moving mobile; and has a mirror for her to look at. It is a great place to put her when you are trying to grab a bite to eat or a shower.

Britax B-Agile Stroller- We did a lot of research on which stroller to buy, and the end went with this one since it was so highly rated on Amazon. I don't regret it at all. It is really sturdy and handles bumpy pavement well. It's incredibly easy to fold (one handed!), and it's light weight. We also got the Britax car seat that can clip directly into the stroller. Love it!

Moses Basket/Pack n' Play- For the first three months, Zahara slept in a moses basket next to our bed. I had never heard of these before moving to England, but they are really convenient for the early months when you want the baby close by. A pack n' play or other travel crib would function the same way.

Boppy- I really loved my Boppy for the first few months. I loved wrapping the pillow around my waist and resting Zoey on the side while I fed her. It took the weight off me and allowed me to have my hands free. It also helped me make sure she was positioned correctly.

Summer Infant Changing Pad- We opted not to get a traditional changing table, and instead get this portable changing pad. What a great decision! I love that we can move it to whichever room we happen to be living in at the time. We bought a microfiber cover for it, which is really soft and easy to clean.

How does this list compare to yours? I'd love to hear your experience!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    baby essentials list

    ReplyDelete