Monday, December 2, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Outside

My friends Nick and Laura are expecting their little bundle of joy any day now. Last weekend Deanna and I threw them a baby shower to celebrate. Since they are having a winter baby, we gave the party a winter theme: Baby, It's Cold Outside. Nick even dressed for the occasion.


Nick and Laura wanted a small, intimate party, so that's what we gave them. Just good friends and good food. Deanna and I had a blast planning for this party. My favorite thing we did was the cocoa bar. Inspired by Pinterest, of course, we had a big crockpot of cocoa with a bunch of add-ons for people to "make theirs fancy." I busted out my chalkboard paint to give the recycled salsa jars a little something extra. Deanna made an awesome picture frame with chalkboard paint and Epsom salt. We had mini-chocolate chips; mini-marshmallows; crushed peppermint; whipped cream; Baileys; and candy cane stirrers.


The party was mid-afternoon, so we served drinks and a few dessert items. The peppermint bark was a big hit. I also really liked the winter fruit salad with citrus, apples and pomegranate. It was so easy to make, and really tasty.


Beer and sparkling punch 

Deanna made some fun Epsom salt candles, and her husband Tom made a pinecone garland. I made some paper snowflake bunting to hang from the windows using this technique. You can see it behind Deanna and my adorable baby. (Gratuitous baby picture alert!)
         



The happy couple was showered with wonderful gifts. Guests signed a framed maternity picture of Laura, that they can then hang in the baby's nursery. Party favors were baby bottles filled with peppermint hot chocolate.






I had a great time, and I hope Nick and Laura did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment