Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Platters

I have joined the thousands of other people who have jumped head first into Pinterest. You've heard of this site, right?  It's basically a giant online bulletin board where you can pin all of your favorite recipes, ideas and inspirations.  I love using it for DIY crafts and home decor (you can follow me here).

Here's an image I saw a while ago that I thought would be fun and easy to make:  It's a chalkboard cheese platter.

original tutorial here
After deciding I must have this, I hunted around town for a cheap, good-looking white platter.  I found a perfect one at TK Maxx (which is the British TJ Maxx).  It was only £4.99!  I had already bought a different, nicer one, at Crate and Barrel.  I'm giving that one away as a gift.  Shhh...it's a surprise :)

Next, I bought chalkboard paint that is specifically meant for china (I used this one). 

At an S.O.S. meeting I whipped out some borrowed paint brushes (thanks Katie!), grabbed a huge mug of tea and got to work.

Blank canvases

Free-handing my board

I was pretty nervous as I was making my lines around the edges, but it actually went really well.  As my friend Karen says, it's good if it looks wonky because that's how you know it's homemade.



After two thin coats on each platter, I let them dry for 24 hours.  The next step is to bake them for 35 minutes in a 150°c oven.  Karen actually did this step for me since I was on an airplane headed for Morocco!  (Pictures coming soon!)

Now that they've cured, they're ready for action!  I'm hosting a small wine and cheese party this weekend and can't wait to put this baby to use.  


The only thing I'm not loving so far is how the chalk still shows even after I've erased it.  Has anyone made chalkboard platters and had this issue before?  Please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. All of your DIY projects are turing out great! Wish I had the time to spend on all of my pinned ideas.

    What about wiping off the reamining chalk with a damp sponge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! I tried that and it still shows :( I'm going to try lightly rubbing chalk on the whole surface so that it is a uniform haze. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete