Friday, March 2, 2012

Surprise!

We've been having some amazing weather lately.  I definitely feel like we've turned a corner and spring is on the way.  First there was the start of lambing season (!!), then the flowers started popping up everywhere and now it's getting noticeably lighter in the mornings and staying lighter later.  Hooray!

I was working out the other morning and looking out on to my garden (what a view!) and I noticed some bubbles at the top of the pond.  Dan and I went out to investigate and were shocked to find a live koi and a couple of frogs!!  Actually, it was pretty embarrassing for the frogs who were clearly in the middle of something...if you know what I mean.


We've lived in this house for more than four months and I had no idea anything lived in that pond.  Good thing the fish eat the vegetation and do not rely on me to feed them.  Apparently at least one fish has been living under the mud beneath the ice all winter.  Who knew?

What I thought were air bubbles, by the way, were actually hundreds of frog eggs...eew!  I am excited for them to turn into tadpoles though.  I used to love tadpoles as a kid.  Most of the eggs won't make it, which is a good thing.  I'd rather not have hundreds of frogs hopping around everywhere.

They look like air bubbles...

...but they're frog eggs

I'll keep you posted on any more spring developments!

2 comments:

  1. Dang... that is a lot of eggs haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it keeps growing!! I am going to have an infestation of frogs if even 1/10 of them live! Yikes!

      Delete