Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Harrogate Christmas Market

This year, for the first time ever, Harrogate hosted a Christmas market. These markets are really popular throughout Europe, and Dan and I have already been to a few (Leeds, Bruges and Brussels). Markets range in size from a few vendors to entire cities. I haven't been to a proper German market yet, but I hear those can be enormous.


Since it was Harrogate's first time hosting a market, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I was really impressed though. The market was bigger than it looked, with 130 stalls. There were fewer food stalls that I had seen previously, but I think that had something to do with the local pubs and restaurants. I'm sure they were weary of losing business over the weekend.

There were tons of hand-made local goods like candy; wines and spirits; candles; clothes, and more. I bought a really cute pair of cuff-links that I can't share with you yet. They're a gift for someone very special :)



The market even had rides and Santa's Workshop with live reindeer! Unfortunately they didn't look too happy to be here. Poor things.


After taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the market (mulled wine and roasting chestnuts? Yes, please!), Dan and I headed to Betty's for a little treat. I had their delicious Swiss hot chocolate; Dan had more mulled wine, and we split the rarebit. Have I mentioned how much I love rarebit? Because I do. A lot.


It was the perfect way to spend a Saturday night. And, it made me feel marginally better that the sun is now setting at 3:50 p.m.

P.S. Sorry for the blurry iPhone pictures. I accidentally left my camera at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment