Saturday, November 24, 2012

My First 5K!

Well, it happened. It was only a matter of time before the Badass Brigade, a.k.a. my S.O.S. crew convinced me to run a race with them.


Every year cities all over America host Turkey Trots. The races vary in length, but they all take place on or near Thanksgiving day. The base hosted a 5K version on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I was doing my best to stand up to the peer pressure of joining when Dan blind-sided me, saying that he was planning on running it. That sealed my fate. I agreed to run too.

[source]

Since I started running a few weeks ago, I've only run three miles twice. A few people told me that if I feel comfortable running two miles, I shouldn't have a problem running 3.1 in a race. Marathoners often train the same way, running only 20 miles for a 26.2 mile race. I guess they were right. I did it!

It was a very hard race for me. The weather was terrible: cold, windy and wet. The course was very hilly; in fact it ended on a massive uphill. But, I did it! And I did it in great time. I crossed the finish line in just over 32 minutes. Dan did amazing too. His time clocked in at 30:44. Not bad for a first timer, right?

I couldn't have done it without my girls. Katie was awesome and ran with me most of the way until I forced her to leave me. And Rachel provided great moral support before jetting off for her super speedy under-30 minutes finish. I'm not sure that this is the start of a great running career, but I'm proud of myself for doing it.

4 comments:

  1. You rocked that 5k! When I started running, I had no chance of getting close to the time you posted. I am very impressed by how well you are doing, and I am proud of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do it without all of your encouragement. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Congrats Calli!! I'm super proud of you!! Loved the race report - definitely a very respectable time! Are there more 5Ks in your future, I hope? Perhaps you are hooked?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I am always thinking about you when I'm running. I think, if she can do multiple IronMan competitions, I can run a 5K! Don't get your hopes up that I'm now a runner though. The jury is still out on that one :)

      Delete